Thursday, January 26, 2012

Meet Toby the Rescue Dog

 When we moved in together last year, my fiance and I each had two rescue dogs. Two dogs are perfect, and this is a perfectly normal number of dogs to have. Four dogs is approaching insanity, but is still doable. We are dog people though, and we persevered as only dog people can do. Well, we decided to step over that line of insanity when we took in a fifth dog, Toby.
     
 A few months ago, I was at work with my brother, Adam, enjoying the gorgeous Indian summer sunshine, while painting the deck on my dad's current flip-house. Things were going great until Adam's phone rang, and his girlfriend,Kristin, could be heard on the other end frantically telling him how she had found a dog. I was determined to not get involved, and I continued brushing thick white paint on rail after rail. However, a few moments later, when Kristin sent a picture of the dog, I knew he'd be coming home with me. The poor thing's ribs were sticking out, his toenails were horribly overgrown, and....his entire hind end was bald, except for a small tuft of red hair at the very tip of his tail. He was in a horrible situation, but comically resembled Mufasa, from the Lion King.


Believing it was sarcoptic mange, I  quickly took the phone and intervened, telling Kristin to guide the dog into her back yard, and keep him there until Kevin could bring the truck to pick him up. At this point, Kevin wasn't aware of my scheming.However, Kevin is a good boy, and knows better than to get in my way when I'm in rescue mode. He picked Toby up, as I had planned, and we took him home. I stopped and bought mange treatment on the way home, and doused him in the most disgusting smelling gunk I've ever inhaled. That night he had to stay tied to our porch, since we couldn't let him come in contact with our other pets. 
    
After taking Toby to the vet , I found out he was not suffering from mange. The skin scrape showed no sign of external parasites, which in a way, was good, since we no longer had to treat him like a leper. The bad news was, the vet suspected hypothyroidism; this is a common ailment in Irish Setters, and causes patterned hair loss. An expensive blood test was required to confirm this, and I decided to have this done. Toby was also given a cortisone injection to stop his excessive itching.
   
When the results came back, they showed Toby tested negative for a thyroid disorder. So, we really have no idea why he was bald. I suspect an iodine deficiency that temporarily threw his thyroid out of kilter. We have had him for about three months now, and with proper nutrition, he has been thriving. All of his hair has grown back, even though it is not as long and lush as most Irish Setters'. He is a wonderful dog, and has made himself right at home. We would like to find him a good home, though, since it's hard to give attention to five dogs. If you guys know of anyone looking for a great family dog, let me know and I'll give you more details! It's horrible how anyone could mistreat another living creature, just look at the before and after pictures below:



Before: Poor boy was sooo itchy, but look at those kind eyes.


Before: Waiting at Kristin's house for Kevin to arrive with his big red truck!
After: Look at what a happy boy he is!

After: He's still skinny, but has gained a lot of weight. I really wish I knew
who neglected him. Grrrrrr



3 comments:

  1. He is so pretty! He looks so improved in the "after" pictures. I hope you can find a good home for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) He's even furrier now, these pics were taken a few weeks ago..Having him is almost like having two horses though, he's so tall!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful dog! He looks so much better now. I would take him if I didn't have three dogs of my own. I hope he can find a good home. I'll ask around and see if anyone is looking for you.

    ReplyDelete