Friday, January 20, 2012

Imatwang

Well guys, I coined a new word the other day! I do a little songwriting on the side, and I started thinking about how funny it is that all these new age country singers have big-time southern accents, even though most of them didn't even grow up in the sticks. I mean, they completely distort words, so "hell" becomes "hey-al", "something" becomes "sumpn", etc. Personally, I love this. Anyhow, I started writing a song about this phenomenon, and I decided to call it "imatwang".
     
Since moving to the country, I've found that Kevin and I are guilty of imatwang as well. Somehow, we have adopted a very hillbilly, southern dialect, even though neither one of us grew up anywhere near the south. A few months ago we ventured into the big city of Pittsburgh to go out for my friend's birthday. Boy, you should have seen the looks we got when we started calling each other "ma" and "pa" in the middle of the club. I have to work on controlling this in public, since those city folks just do not understand.

2 comments:

  1. haha i really enjoy this just for the fact that my boyfriend and his family are from "the country" and them and his friends from home always make remarks about my pittsburgh accent and having a city accent compared to theirs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty as well! I joke around so much in a "country" accent that I've started slipping up and using it in real conversations. Some things just can't be helped.

    ReplyDelete