Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Polio and Well Water

When we moved to our house, we had to figure out the water filtration system all by ourselves; this was a daunting task for two people who were used to city water. My mom kept telling us to get the water tested before we drank it, but we figured if it was good enough for the dogs it was good enough for us.


About a week after moving in, I came down with a sore throat and muscle aches. A few days later, Kevin experienced the same symptoms. I figured it was the common flu, but I thought it would be funny to scare Kevin,


I texted him and told him I was pretty sure we both had contracted Polio, since it can be transmitted through infected drinking water. He started telling all of the guys at work about it, and  was apparently Googling symptoms all day long.


It wasn't until that night that I informed him Polio has been virtually eradicated in this country since 1979, and that he was vaccinated as a child. I got a good laugh when I found out how he had been made fun of at work. I know, I'm horrible.



No comments:

Post a Comment