Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Singing and Sushi

Singing  and sushi?  I have always been obsessed with singing, and have only been obsessed with sushi for the past five or six years. I really don’t see what they have in common, other than the fact that they really highlight my obsessive personality, to a point of near embarrassment. I can’t get enough of either, and really don’t think I’ll ever get over my attachment to them. They seem crucial to my survival.
I can’t remember being an age where my parents haven’t had to tell me to “please shut up for just a minute!” I’ve been singing ever since I popped out, and I even annoy myself sometimes. Thank goodness I’ve been told I have a good voice. I’ve done a lot of open mics for singer/songwriters, earned plenty of free drinks and even cash at karaoke, and have had the chance to sing at several places in Nashville, which was pretty cool. Although I don’t recall eating sushi there, I did see several sushi restaurants, which is surprising on Lower Broadway Street. Oh yah! In the movie Pure Country Two (A horrible follow-up to Pure Country) the main character moved to Nashville to become a singer, and worked at a sushi joint. Ok, the two are coming together now.
                Mmmm…sushi, sashimi, soy sauce, rice, chopsticks, Miso soup; just typing these words is causing my stomach to roar! Sushi is another thing I cannot get enough of, and I could seriously eat it for every meal; eel rolls are my favorite. Don’t ask me the Japanese names, though! I also love raw squid  sashimi…it is so damn good. I guess eating all this sushi is probably good for my voice, since I always drink hot tea when dining at Japanese restaurants. As long as its decaf, it can really soothe your vocal chords. I’ve been obsessed with plenty of other things in my life, lately it’s been miniature pigs, and I’m sure I’ll be obsessed with many more, however I could not live without singing and sushi.

2 comments: