Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rabies Alert

I pride myself in being a pretty brave person, but I have one phobia...rabies. When I was little, I would get panic attacks if I even heard the word. I still get the chills, but have learned to curb my fears a little. This is a weird phobia, since I love animals so much, and have never had contact with a rabid animal. (I am pounding my fist on wood right now!)


This is why I was terrified when I read that Western Pa. has been issued a rabies alert! In the past couple weeks, two people have been attacked by a rabid fox, a rabid raccoon made its way into a fenced-in yard, and a rabid skunk caused a herd of goats to be quarantined for six months. Even though most of my readers don't live in the woods like me, where we see these animals on an almost daily basis, town folk must still be very cautious. You can read about these recent cases at TribLive.


Here are some ways to protect you and your pets:


-NEVER approach a wild or feral mammal. If you see one who is injured or needs help, contact a professional such as the game commission or humane society. (I don't follow this rule, but do as I say, not as I do! )


-Know the signs of rabies: excessive salivation, inability to swallow, fear of water, staggering gait, eating dirt,wood, or other non food items, fear of light, aggressiveness, seizures, wild animal acting tame, nocturnal animals who are active during the day, severe agitation (these are most of them)


-If you see an animal exhibiting any of these behaviors, call your local police department, game commission, or animal control office. DO NOT approach the animal. If you kill the animal, do not shoot it in its head, since the brain will need to be sent to a lab to verify that the animal was rabid. 


-It is state law that all dogs and cats be vaccinated for rabies! I am not a fan of over-vaccinating, due to an increased cancer risk, however I do not mess around with rabies shots. They are crucial. If your pet is bitten by a wild animal, and you cannot show proof s/he was vaccinated, s/he must either be killed or quarantined for six months. Even house pets must be vaccinated, since a rabid animal such as a bat could enter your house without you even being aware. Rabies vaccines are good for either 1 or 3 years, so keep careful records. Usually pets being vaccinated for the first time are the only ones to receive the 1-year shot.


-If you are bitten by a wild or strange animal, immediately wash out the wound with soap and water, and go to the hospital ASAP. Call your local game commission or animal control warden, and report the case. Post-exposure vaccinations need to be started the same day a person was bitten for them to be effective. This is not something to mess around with. Rabies is always fatal once symptoms appear.




Ok, I am approaching a panic attack from writing that, but I'm sacrificing my sanity to warn you guys! Please take it to heart.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment