Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Life Saver!

Last night was absolutely CRAZY; Definitely not something you'd  expect to happen in the country.


Kevin was super busy at work and didn't leave until around 9:30 P.M. I was waiting up for him, reading The Gravedigger's Daughter, by Joyce Carol Oates (I cannot put it down!), when I looked out and saw an ambulance coming down our usually deserted road. I became very scared, thinking Kevin had gotten tired and run off the road.


His response when I called him was not what I expected.


"I'm performing CPR, I'm o.k. I'l be home when the ambulance gets here."


I got the full story when he got home, and after hearing it, I really want to learn C.P.R.


He was driving home, down the forlorn, wooded road that leads to our house, when he saw a BMW parked in the middle of the road. He slowed down, thinking it was just broken down, and prepared to drive around it. However, he noticed the driver's door was open. Then, he looked down and saw a young man laying on the ground, having a seizure.


The driver had a friend with him, who was standing near him, but had not yet called 911. Kevin, who is a certified CPR instructor through his work, immediately dialed for an ambulance, and gave his phone to the friend.


He then ran over the the seizing man, and found only a faint pulse. The man was not breathing.


Kevin started compressions, and administered CPR to the man, who went into three fits of shallow breaths and seizures before regaining normal breathing. During this time, another man pulled over, and Kevin had him feel for the downed man's pulse.


After about ten minutes, two ambulances arrived, and took over. The EMT told Kevin the young man would have probably went into a coma if CPR had not been administered.


Kevin was really shaken up when he got home, and said he operated on full adrenaline. Prior to this, he had never actually administered CPR to a real patient, so it was a damn good thing he remembered what to do in this emergency. He probably saved this young man's life, it's just amazing he was there at exactly the right time and place.


Only in the boonies...

2 comments: